I went to a movie alone today. In the middle of the day. On a Friday. I’m not sure why, but this makes me giggle to myself. It feels a bit…decadent, almost.
Despite my giggling, for some reason on the way there, I felt like I needed to convince myself of reasons why it was perfectly acceptable to do what I was doing, so here they are:
10. I didn’t really want to do my “To-Do” list today anyway.
9. The movie was only showing at one set time today, so I didn’t have a choice.
8. There are fewer people at midday movies. In fact, there was only one other girl in the theatre with me, which completely eliminated her as a Suzy Seatkicker candidate . Bonus that she was a front-row sitter, as I am a 2nd- last row sitter, so I didn’t even have to listen to her snarf her snacks. She was also thankfully not the type to talk to herself, because annoying chatter during the movie really pisses me off.
7. I was craving popcorn for lunch.
6. I needed to get out of the house. There are only so many conversations I can have with three cats.
5. The novelty still hasn’t worn off of how many varieties of diet pop are available to me in those funky self-serve pop machines at my local theatre.
4. Ok, I admit it – I had nobody else to go with. Not that I tried really hard to find someone, but I did ask my brother who works nights and sleeps during the day.
3. I needed a reward for cleaning, purging and organizing my daughter’s toys and books almost all day yesterday.
2. I like seeing movies alone. I don’t have to worry about someone asking me dumb questions, laughing at inappropriate times in the movie’s plot, singing along loudly with the soundtrack or worse – trying to initiate a conversation with me during the movie.
AND, with a Letterman-style drum roll, please: the Number One reason why I went to a movie alone in the middle of the day on a Friday?
Because I could.