Everyone who knows me knows that I love movies and look forward to the Oscars for months before they arrive.
This year, it was SO worth the anticipation!
Ellen DeGeneres was a superb host. Funny, without being mean, lively, but annoyingly so, and the best part? SO interactive with the celebrity audience.
Smart woman – she knows we don’t tune in just to watch her for 3.5 hours, as amazing as she is.
Here are my Top Ten things that I LOVED about yesterday’s Oscars:
1. The dresses – well, DUH! Isn’t that a huge reason why many tune in? When I see gorgeous celebrities wearing long sleeves and demure necklines, just for a few moments, I can actually pretend that I too could rock a gown like that. Last night the gowns were conservative and downright plentiful in fabric, for the most part, which gives my wobbly bits such hope for when I walk the red carpet.
2. Anne Hathaway wearing a metallic-breastplated dress to avoid Nipplegate, Part 2. Not sure if it was intentional, but I’m going to assume it was her classy raised middle finger to last year’s media frenzy erected by her dress and what it didn’t hide.
3. Pharrell performing “Happy”. Children dancing on the stage. Pharrell gettin’ funky with Lupita, Meryl and Amy. Pharrell getting everyone up on their feet shakin’ it. Loved it – best performance of the night.
4. The number of speeches that thanked MOMS. Jared Leto AND Matthew McConaughey both did – so nice to see grown men pay such tribute to their mothers. Also loved the tears that appeared when Matthew spoke of his wife and children - take notes, gentlemen in training!
5. Bette Midler singing. Love her or hate her – that woman can sing. And that she did, superbly well. I loved that she sang the song I danced to with my dad at BOTH of my weddings!
6. The speeches were not long, boring, drawn-out, or containing political diatribes. Yes, a few held political or social commentary, but it was like everyone understood that it wasn’t the time or the place for the soap box, and sometimes, just a mention is all you really need to make people think.
7. Ellen ordered pizza, had it delivered and passed it out to the celebrity audience. With celebrities helping serve it up! Have you ever seen anything that cool, fun or original in recent Oscar shows? Also, who was the last host to break Twitter by posting a selfie with her and 10 celeb peeps? Need I say more?
8. Joseph Gordon Levitt, whom I could love on a standalone basis, but he also reminded me of my boyfriend from senior year in high school – their resemblance is uncanny, to be honest, although I have no idea what the former flame looks like now, so I’ll stick with my memory. Or JGL. Refer also to Jonah Hill – that cutie-pie just makes me smile, even when he doesn’t say a word.
9. I agreed with almost all of the award choices – I might have chosen a different Best Director and different Animated Feature, but everything else I completely agreed with – that NEVER happens!
10. DIVERSITY. Black nominees, in more than one category. Black attendees – more than just a couple token uber-famous black celebrities in the crowd. A movie about slavery won Best Picture and Best Screenplay. An intelligent, talented black woman won Best Supporting Actress. A black man gave the best performance of the show. Sidney Poitier on stage to remind us all who got the ball rolling for black people in Hollywood. The Academy is starting to realize that perhaps diversity has been lacking in their club, and it’s nice to see some signs of this changing. Would I have liked to see more diversity? Of course, but starting somewhere is better than stagnancy.
Keep it up, Hollywood, you did it all right last night.
Thanks for reading my blog! Did you like this post? Feel free to share it, if you did. Also, if you’d like to hear more from me, slide over to the right side of your screen and “Like” my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter – yes, that’s right – stalk me!
You may also like reading my blog posts at Conceived in my Heart on YummyMummyClub.ca – check it out!